Write an Email
- Always include a subject
- In the subject, include the course number (and section number, if it is a 100 level class) for the class
- Also include some relevant information
- Begin with a salutation. If you’re writing to an instructor don’t know whether they go by Professor, Dr., Mr., Mrs., Ms., etc., err on the side of caution and address them as Dr.
- Obey the ordinary conventions of the English language
- Don’t ask questions the answers to which are easily discovered on the syllabus, in class notes, in previous emails, on Blackboard, etc.
- Include a subscription and signature
- It’s probably a good idea to get a professional email address, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org is not really an appropriate email address for professional communication